Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Child of a U.S. citizen born in Bangladesh

Note: ACS Appointment System Change: 
Follow-up Appointments for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) only on Thursdays starting from Jan 4, 2015

Starting on January 4, 2015, applicants requiring a follow-up appointment for the submittal of documents for their Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) will only be able to schedule those appointments on Thursdays during the work week, using the online Dhaka ACS Appointment Calendar. If you have already had an initial interview for the CRBA case and schedule a follow-up appointment on Sunday, Monday, or Wednesday, that appointment will be cancelled and you will have to make a new one on a Thursday.

The requirements for the issuance of a CRBA document have not changed. Our website includes a list of required and recommended documentation.

We monitor the schedule closely to ensure that sufficient appointment slots are available, however if all slots are filled during the week you intend to come to the Embassy, you will need to make an appointment on a subsequent Thursday. If you come across any other scheduling issues, please email us at

Please note that after January 4, 2015, all passport appointments, first-time CRBA appointments, and notary services will no longer be available on Thursdays. Applicants should make these types of appointments on Sundays, Mondays, or Wednesdays. 

General Information

The Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) documents the birth of a United States citizen in a foreign country.  It is accepted by all U.S. federal and state government agencies as proof of an individual’s United States citizenship.  The American Citizen Services Unit in Dhaka processes CRBA applications only for children born in Bangladesh.

Most, but not all, children born abroad to U.S. citizen parent/s are eligible to be documented as United States citizens.  Please follow the checklist provided below to prepare all required documentation. Once you have all the documents ready you should schedule an appointment online by clicking here.

We encourage you to apply for your child’s U.S. passport at the same time that you apply for the CRBA. However, the decision to do so is ultimately your own. 

Documentary Requirements

Please bring all of the following documentation with you to your CRBA appointment.  Complete documentation will allow us to more quickly process your application and will minimize or eliminate the need for repeat visits for documentary purposes.  If any documentation is lacking, applicants will have 90 days to return to the Embassy with the requested items. If documentation is not received within 90 days, the case will be closed and the application denied.

Please use the following as a checklist to ensure that you have all required materials:

  1. Completed DS-2029: Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad for a Citizen of the United States of America
  2. Completed DS-11: Application for United States Passport (if you are applying for U.S. passport for your child)
  3. Completed DS-3053: Parental Consent Form (if one parent is absent during the submission of the application)
  4. Completed DS-5525: Statement of Exigent/Special family circumstances (if one parent cannot or is unwilling to provide consent)
  5. Documentation from the United States Citizen Parent/s
  • U.S. citizen parents must submit their U.S. passport(s). If the U.S. citizen parent is not in Bangladesh, notarized copies of all pages of the U.S. passport(s) should be submitted.
  • U.S. citizen parent(s) must submit their original naturalization certificate, citizenship certificate, or U.S. birth certificate to document how they attained their own citizenship. Laminating these certificates invalidates them and we may not be able to accept them. Please do not laminate them.
  • Parents should submit proof of their current marriage. If the marriage took place in Bangladesh, please submit the original marriage contract (Nikah Nama) and Marriage Certificate (in Bangla, with a translated English copy) for a Muslim marriage or the original affidavit from the priest performing the ceremony, and Marriage Certificate (in Bangla, with a translated English copy) for a Hindu marriage.  If the marriage took place in the U.S. or another country, please submit the original marriage document, and an English translation thereof, if applicable.
  • Submit proof of termination of any previous marriage/s. If the death or divorce occurred in Bangladesh, the original death certificate or divorce certificate (Talak Nama) must be submitted (in Bangla, with an English translation).  If the death or divorce occurred in the U.S. or another country, the original death or divorce certificate must be submitted, as well as an English translation thereof, if applicable.

    6. Documentation from the Non-United States Parent

  • Passport or other government issued identification document that includes a picture (passport, voter ID, driver’s license, etc).
  • Submit proof of termination of any previous marriage/s. If the death or divorce occurred in Bangladesh, the original death certificate or divorce certificate (Talak Nama) must be submitted (in Bangla, with an English translation).  If the death or divorce occurred in the U.S. or another country, the original death or divorce certificate must be submitted, as well as an English translation thereof, if applicable.

    7. Documentation for the Child or Children

  • Registered Birth Certificate issued from the appropriate office of Births and Deaths.  Birth certificates that are issued by a hospital or other medical institution will NOT be accepted.
  • One color passport photo of the child is required.  Click here for more information.

    8. Evidence of Physical Presence in the United States

  • In the event that the child has one U.S. citizen and one foreign national parent, proof of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence (number of days that the U.S. citizen parent was demonstrably IN the United States) is required. In such cases, the U.S. citizen parent will need to show five years of CUMULATIVE physical presence in the U.S., two of which must have been after the age of 14. Examples of items that show physical presence are entry/exit stamps in current and previous passports, school transcripts, income tax returns with Form W-2, Social Security earnings history, pay receipts, etc.
  • If the U.S. citizen parent cannot clearly demonstrate the required 5 years of physical presence then the applicant will be denied, and any associated passport case will be denied. No refund will be given. Applicants are strongly urged to review their own history of physical presence in the United States before applying.
  • Evidence of physical presence is not required if BOTH parents are U.S. citizens.

    9. Evidence of relationship

  • Family photos to prove relationship between the father, mother and the child or children. Wedding and marriage photos, photos of the pregnancy and time of birth are especially important.
  • Medical history (prescriptions, ultrasound and other reports for the mother during pregnancy and delivery, discharge certificate from the hospital, immunization records for the child, etc.) 

  10. Fees

  • The processing fee for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad applicationis $100, and the processing fee for a U.S. Passport application is $105. Fees must be paid in cash, and are payable either in United States Dollars or in Bangladeshi Taka.

What to Expect When You Visit the Embassy

  • All regular services are by appointments only.  Please make an appointment online here before you come for the services.
  • We suggest arriving 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment to allow time for security checks at the Embassy entrance.
  • When you arrive, let the guards know that you have an appointment with the American Citizen Services Unit. All adults must present photo ID issued by a competent authority. Your appointment will not proceed without photo ID.
  • Our guards will check your belongings. You will be asked to pass through a metal detector. Cameras, mobile phones, laptops and other electronic devices are not allowed inside the Embassy.
  • Once you enter the compound, you will be directed to the Consular Section. Inside the Consular Section, you will find the American Citizen Services Unit’s waiting room at the very end of the main waiting area. Our staff will be expecting you at the ACS window.


  • Please do NOT sign on the forms DS-2029 and DS-11. You will sign the applications in front of an authorized official at U.S. Embassy, Dhaka.  Please complete all required items. If you believe an item does not apply to you, please write the abbreviation “N/A”.  The back of the forms have additional instructions.


  • If you are unable to submit any original document mentioned in the CRBA checklist, you should submit notarized copies of every page of that document. The copies should be eligible. Also, note that you would have to submit the original naturalization certificate with the CRBA application. Copies of naturalization certificate is not accepted.  

Contact Information

    • Consular Section, U.S. Embassy
      Madani Avenue
      Baridhara. Dhaka-1212

      American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit

      For ACS inquiries only
       (880)(2) 5566-2000 (For after office-hours emergency. Press “0”, and ask to speak with the duty officer. You may be asked for your reason for calling; this is to better help the operator in directing your call.)

      American Citizens with Visa Inquiries

      Within Bangladesh: 09610202040 (hours: Sunday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.; excluding holidays)
      Within the United States: 703-988-3466 (hours: Sunday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., EST)
      By Email: