U.S. Citizen Services
The mission of the American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit is to provide assistance to United States citizens in Bangladesh. We provide a range of services and information. For detailed information pertaining to the specific services that we offer, please select the service/page that is appropriate for you.
The walk-in window hours are from Sunday through Wednesday from 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Enroll with the Embassy page explains the benefit of enrolling with the Embassy. Enrolling is easy and very helpful.
Messages from the Embassy page lists recent message/s sent from the Embassy to U.S. citizens. These messages include routine, security and emergency messages.
Consular Report of Birth Abroad page has instructions on how U.S. citizen parent/s can apply for U.S. citizenship of their child/ren born in Bangladesh and exactly what they should bring with them.
Passport Services page provides information on how to renew and/or replace U.S. passports for adults and minors, how to add extra pages to your U.S. passports, photo and other documentary requirements.
Notarial Services page will guide you through the various notarial services (Affidavits, Acknowledgements, Certification of true copies and Authentication) that the Embassy provides.
Emergency Services page has detailed information on how the Embassy can assist you emergency situations as Arrest, Death and Forced marriages of U.S. citizens in Bangladesh. It also has information on how you can send money to someone in Bangladesh or get a legal counsel or medical assistance.
Other Services for U.S. Citizens page links you to useful information regarding Social Security and other Federal benefits, overseas voting and tax information, and information regarding Selective Service and Adoptions in Bangladesh. This page also lists services we cannot provide.
Tips for Travelers page provides useful information for U.S. citizens visiting or residing in Bangladesh with background information on Bangladesh (entry-exit requirements, threats to safety and security, etc.), contact information for Bangladesh Police assisting foreigners, and other information that may be helpful for your safe travels to Bangladesh.
What to Expect When You Visit the Embassy
- All regular services are by appointments only. Please make an appointment online here before you come for the services.
- We suggest arriving 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment to allow time for security checks at the Embassy entrance.
- When you arrive, let the guards know that you have an appointment with the American Citizen Services Unit. You will be asked to show photo ID.
- Our guards will check your belongings. You will be asked to pass through a metal detector. Cameras, mobile phones, laptops and other electronic devices are not allowed inside the Embassy.
- Once you enter the compound, you will be directed to the Consular Section. Inside the Consular Section, you will find the American Citizen Services Unit’s waiting room at the very end of the main waiting area. Our staff will be expecting you at the ACS window.
Consular Section, U.S. Embassy
American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit
For ACS inquiries only
Phone: (880)(2) 882-3805 (Sun-Thurs, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
(880)(2) 885-5500 (For after office-hours emergency. Press “0”, and ask to speak with the duty officer.)
Fax: (880)(2) 882-4449