U.S. Citizen Services
The mission of the
American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit is to provide certain types of assistance
to United States citizens in Bangladesh. While we can provide a range of
services and information, there are limits to what we can offer. For detailed information
pertaining to specific services, please select the service/page that is
appropriate for you.
All regular services are by appointment only. Walk-in hours are not available. To schedule an appointment online please click here.
Passports, additional pages, and reports of births abroad now require the completion of an online application. To access the appropriate online application, select the relevant service from the menu on the left.
No electronic devices or luggage are allowed inside the Embassy. Small electronic devices, with features such as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, audio and video recording, global positioning system (GPS), and cellular phone, smart watches and any wearable electronic devices are not allowed inside the embassy. No storage exists for consular customers’ personal items. Please make arrangements to leave these items at home or with a friend or relative.
Emergency services may be available at any time. For emergency service during business hours Sun-Thurs, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. For after-hours emergency service, please call (880)(2) 5566-2000. Press “0”, and ask to speak with the duty officer. You may be asked for your reason for calling; this is to better help the operator in directing your call.
Enroll with the Embassy: Explains the benefits of enrolling with the Embassy. Enrolling is easy and very helpful.
Messages from the Embassy: Recent messages sent from the Embassy to U.S. citizens. These messages include routine, security, and emergency messages.
Tips for Travelers: Useful information for U.S. citizens visiting or residing in Bangladesh with background information on Bangladesh (entry-exit requirements, threats to safety and security, etc.), contact information for Bangladesh Police assisting foreigners, and other information that may be helpful for your travels in Bangladesh.
Consular Report of Birth Abroad: Instructions
on how U.S. citizen parent/s can apply for U.S. citizenship for their child/ren
born in Bangladesh and exactly what they should bring with them to the
Passport Services: Information on how to renew and/or replace U.S. passports for adults and minors, how to add extra pages to your U.S. passports, photo and other documentary requirements.
Notarial Services: Guides you through the various notarial services (affidavits, acknowledgements, certifications of true copies and authentications) that the Embassy provides.
For visa issuances, some countries such as Saudi Arabia may request a letter from the Embassy stating the U.S. government has no objection to your travel. On principle, the U.S. government does not issue these types of letter – your passport is proof that the U.S. government does not object to your travel. However, we have prepared a general letter explaining this for those who may need it. Please download the letter from here and print it as needed for your visa application.
Other Services: Appointments for other services are available. Other services include but may not be limited to:
- Applying for a Social Security Number.
- Applying for Social Security benefits.
- Reporting a lost or expired federal benefits check.
- Abandoning LPR status.
Please note, the American Citizen Services unit cannot answer questions about visas, immigration petitions, or adoptions. We cannot provide legal advice or intervene in personal disputes.
For questions regarding nonimmigrant visas, please refer to the Non-Immigrant Visas page of this web site. If you cannot find an answer there, then email DhakaNIV@state.gov. Questions will not be answered by phone.
For questions regarding immigrant visas, please refer to the Immigrant Visas page of this web site. If you cannot find an answer there, then email DhakaIV@state.gov. Questions will not be answered by phone.
If you wish avoid an unnecessary trip to the Embassy and are unsure whether a service can be provided by American Citizen Services, please send an email to DhakaACS@state.gov before scheduling an appointment.
Emergency Services: Detailed information on how the Embassy can assist you with emergency situations such as arrests, deaths and forced marriages of U.S. citizens in Bangladesh. The page also has information on how you can send money to someone in Bangladesh or get a legal counsel or medical assistance.
Other Services for U.S. Citizens: Useful information regarding Social Security and other federal benefits, overseas voting and tax information, and information regarding Selective Service and adoptions in Bangladesh. This page also lists services we cannot provide.
What to Expect When You Visit the Embassy:
- All regular services are by appointments only. Unless prior arrangements have been made, you will not be allowed to enter without an appointment Please make an appointment online here before you come for the services.
- We suggest arriving 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment to allow time for security checks at the Embassy entrance.
- When you arrive, let the guards know that you have an appointment with the American Citizen Services Unit. You will be asked to show photo ID.
- You will be asked to pass through a metal detector. Cameras, mobile phones, laptops and any other small electronic devices, with features such as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, audio and video recording, global positioning system (GPS), and cellular phone, smart watches and any wearable electronic devices are not allowed inside the embassy. No storage exists for consular customers’ personal items. Please make arrangements to leave these items at home or with a friend or relative. Luggage is not allowed. No storage is available for these types of items.
- Once you enter the compound, you will be directed to the Consular Section. Inside the Consular Section, you will find the American Citizen Services Unit’s waiting room at the very end of the main waiting area. Our staff will be expecting you at the ACS window.
Consular Section, U.S. Embassy
American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit
For ACS inquiries only
Phone: (880)(2) 5566-2000 (For after office-hours emergency. Press “0”, and ask to speak with the duty officer. )
Fax: (880)(2) 5566-2915